Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Friday, August 28, 2015

Mirror Image

The Right Approach
Ezra 7:10 is one of those passages that challenges me and I use to challenge others.  The order in which Ezra approached the Word of God is instructive.
Mirror Image
  • He set his heart
  • He studied
  • He practiced
  • He taught
The order is not only instructive, he did not share things he had not practiced.  Prof said, “Never traffic in unpracticed truth.”  I would bet he got that idea here.

The Approach Repeated, sort of…
One of the steps I cover in the workshops is that the Bible is the best commentary on the Bible.  I love it when I find examples of that reality.  This afternoon I was working on curriculum again and saw a mirror image of Ezra’s approach to the Word in Paul’s exhortation to Timothy in 2 Timothy 3:14 – 4:5.
  • Continue in the things you have learned
  • You have known the sacred writings
  • All Scripture is inspired profitable for teaching, reproof, correction, and training in righteousness
  • Preach the Word in season and out of season
Well maybe not a mirror image but close.  Both Ezra and Timothy lived out the Word before they taught it.

Do First, then Say…
I cannot tell you how many times I have read and or studied 2 Timothy, just finished this week.  I have never seen the connection between 3:14 – 17 and 4:1 – 5 until this afternoon.  Part of the reason is the unfortunate chapter division.  It breaks Paul’s thought.  I should know better.  One of the things I harp on is to ignore the chapter and verse divisions.  This is why.  It is easy to miss connected thoughts.

But the main thought is for Ezra, Paul, and Timothy, our impact as believers issues from the application of Scripture in our own lives.  As Prof succinctly said, we have no business sharing or teaching something that we are not doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment