Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Shoring Up Timothy

The Charges
This morning we finished our section by section study of 2 Timothy.  This next week we are summarizing what we have learned through the study.  In preparation for that – well actually I was going to write about something that I saw in chapter 4 but as I pulled that string it got longer.  That happens to me a lot in Bible study.  I decided to take a look at all of the charges Paul gave Timothy in the letter.  Here is a complete list, take a look and tell me what you see:
Shoring Up Timothy
Verse Charge
1:6 Kindle afresh the gift
1:8 Do not be ashamed
1:8 Join me in suffering
1:13 Retain the standard of sound words
1:14 Guard the treasure
2:1 Be strong in grace
2:2 Entrust to faithful men
2:3 Suffer hardship with me
2:7 Consider what I say
2:8 Remember Jesus Christ
2:14 Remind them
2:14 Solemnly charge them
2:15 Be diligent
2:16 Avoid worldly and empty chatter
2:22 Flee from youthful lusts
2:22 Pursue righteousness…
2:23 Refuse foolish and ignorant speculation
3:1 Realize this
3:14 You continue in the things
4:2 Proclaim (my translation – I will do another post on why later) the Word
4:2 Be ready
4:2 Reprove
4:2 Rebuke
4:2 Exhort
4:5 Be sober
4:5 Endure hardship
4:5 Do the work…
4:5 Fulfill your ministry
4:9 Make Every effort
4:13 Bring
4:15 Be on guard
4:19 Greet
4:21 Make every effort

So What?
Note that all of the verbs except the first 2 and “solemnly charge” in 2:14 are imperative mood, commands.  However, “solemnly charge” is a particple that derives its force from the preceeding verb, “remind,” which is imperative, thus taking on an imperative mood by that association.

What are your observations about this list?  I will share mine tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment