Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, August 22, 2015

Facing Resistance

Observations
A couple of days ago we looked at the charges Paul gave Timothy in 2 Timothy.  Yesterday I shared one observation/suggestion on those charges.  I asked you for your observations, here are mine.
Facing Resistance
Looking at the list as a whole the picture that develops is of Timothy facing increasing resistance to his ministry.  False teachers, apostasy, frivolous controversies, abandonment of the ministry by trusted companions faced not only Paul but Timothy.  What did Paul tell him to do to stand against this set of realities?

Parallels
I have mentioned that I am currently working through Psalm 119.  It is interesting that David faced similar resistance.  It is also instructive that David’s means of dealing with resistance parallels much of what Paul’s exhortation to Timothy.

Look at this list and compare it to the list from two days ago:
Verse Means of Resistance
23 Even though princes sit and talk against me, Your servant meditates on Your statutes.
42 So I will have an answer for him who reproaches me, For I trust in Your word.
51 The arrogant utterly deride me, Yet I do not turn aside from Your law.
69 The arrogant have forged a lie against me; With all my heart I will observe Your precepts.
71 It is good for me that I was afflicted, That I may learn Your statutes.
78 May the arrogant be ashamed, for they subvert me with a lie; But I shall meditate on Your precepts.
85 The arrogant have dug pits for me, Men who are not 1in accord with Your law.
87 They almost destroyed me on earth, But as for me, I did not forsake Your precepts.
92 If Your law had not been my delight, Then I would have perished in my affliction.
95 The wicked await for me to destroy me; I shall diligently consider Your testimonies.
98 Your commandments make me wiser than my enemies, For they are ever mine
107 I am exceedingly afflicted; Revive me, O Lord, according to Your word.
110 The wicked have laid a snare for me, Yet I have not gone astray from Your precepts.
113 I hate those who are double-minded, But I love Your law.
115 Depart from me, evildoers, That I may observe the commandments of my God.
118 You have rejected all those who wander from Your statutes, For their deceitfulness is useless.
119 You have removed all the wicked of the earth like dross; Therefore I love Your testimonies.
121 I have done justice and righteousness; Do not leave me to my oppressors.
122 Be surety for Your servant for good; Do not let the arrogant oppress me.
139 My zeal has consumed me, Because my dversaries have forgotten Your words.
157 Many are my persecutors and my adversaries, Yet I do not turn aside from Your testimonies.
158 I behold the treacherous and loathe them, Because they do not keep Your word.
161 Princes persecute me without cause, But my heart stands in awe of Your words.

Do you see it?

No comments:

Post a Comment