Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, June 3, 2012

Glory

In Psalm 29:1 – 2 we are commanded to “Ascribe to the Lord gory.”  Thinking through that it occurred to me that I really do not know what glory is.  I ascribe glory to things that I perceive to be beautiful.  The upper Titcomb valley leaps to mind.  Also beautiful people, my wife, my granddaughter, my kids.  Situations like my daughter expecting her first child.
What we consider glorious is really just a reflection of the glory of the creator.
I have a picture of my wife and I in the upper Titcomb valley in my office.  I was looking at this while I was thinking through this passage.  Every rock, every element of vegetation, every drop of water, solid, liquid, or gas (all three are in the picture), every molecule was placed with intentional purpose in that place.  The result in my eye, is glorious.  But reality is that created space, is a pale reflection of the glory of its creator.

The problem becomes that my concept of glory can prevent me from seeing what is really glorious.  If I settle for what I see, what I understand, what I apprehend as glory, I can miss the true glory.  That is where Christ comes in.  In John 1:14 we are told that Christ, revealed the true glory.  It is only as we gaze intentionally at Him that we will understand and know what true glory really is.  The only way we can do that now, is through His Word.

1 comment:

  1. Sobering on the one hand, hopeful on the other. If we're willing to make the effort, pay the price, we can make progress, Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 3:17,18 promise us.

    But even then "the best is yet to come." And can't not think of the Dottie Rambo song, "We Shall Behold Him," lyrics link below. That was quite popular when my dad entered that experience and this song was my Mom's frequent companion for some time afterward.

    They still bring tears of joy at Dad's release from 45 years of sometimes immobilizing pain and entrance into that glory which continues to grow - as it will for eternity. Mom is also with him now.

    http://www.lyricstime.com/dottie-rambo-we-shall-behold-him-lyrics.html

    As C.S. Lewis observed, how easily we settle for mere bobbles when we could experience the treasure ever more fully.

    ReplyDelete