Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Validation

This morning I was asked to go overseas to help train pastors to study the Bible.  The initial trip is scheduled for about a year from now.  If you were to think I am eager to do this – well you would be far short of the mark.  I have said over and over that I would crawl over broken glass to do something like this.  So yes I am eager to the nth power.  At some level this feels like validation of all of the things I have been doing for the past several years…

But…

As I was journaling about this opportunity the Lord gently rebuked me.  He subtly asked me why I needed validation apart from Him.  As I thought through this, prayed through the question, I was filleted by His loving correction.  He then asked why was I so excited to go serve Him but not that excited about knowing Him here, now.  I have no good answer for that.  He then brought Galatians 1:10 – 24 to mind followed shortly by Colossians 3:1 – 4.
Validation of my life and ministry does not come from what I am allowed to do for Christ, rather it is simply from knowing Him...
The bottom line for me this morning is that the privilege, the thrill of serving Christ should not and cannot exceed my love for and joy in knowing Him.  If it does, it seems to me that then ministry crosses the line from worship to idolatry…

2 comments:

  1. Here are a few thoughts to bring overseas ministry back into perspective for you: 1. You'll have to fund-raise all necessary moneys. 2. You'll be jet-lagged for the first week there and upon your return. 3. the food is terrible. 4. the beds are too soft. 5. you'll probably contract some minor bug -- upper respiratory or intestinal. Now--feel any better about knowing Christ? :-) (I've already started praying for your funds.)

    ReplyDelete