Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Review of the NASB Thompson Chain Reference Bible

Review of the NASB Thompson Chain Reference Bible
Thompson Chain
Reference Bible
I have owned a KJV Thompson Chain Reference Bible for about the last 46 years.  I was excited when the Bible Gateway Blogger Grid asked me to review the NASB version of this classic Bible.  As I have shared before since this blog is a member of the Blogger Grid, I am given free copies of books from time to time to review.  This is one of those cases.

Full disclosure, I do not normally use a physical Bible any longer in my study.  I use Logos Bible Software for hours every day.  I study in a file I create in Microsoft Word that has the text of the book I am studying next to that book in the original language in a table.  Along with that I have Logos open with the resources I use regularly, displayed with the Word document utilizing three monitors.  The English version in the Word document is NASB.  That said, I use a physical Bible when I am speaking to a group and when I am traveling overseas.  Those are two different versions of the NASB.  So, I am very familiar with the NASB, it is my go to version.  Therefore, I was very pleased to be given the opportunity to review this iteration of the Thompson Chain.

As I have mentioned in previous reviews of the Quest Study Bible, the NIV Study Bible, the Verse Mapping Bible and Journal, and the NASB Adventure Bible, I highly recommend that you read the introduction and prefaces to any Bible Version you are contemplating.  I will not rehearse the reasons already stated in the other reviews, but will say that for the NASB Thompson Chain, this moves from highly recommended to absolutely critical.  I will go so far as to say that you will be lost or confused by the layout of the Bible if you should choose to skip those introductions and prefaces.  There are too many features in the Thompson Chain to adequately and succinctly explain their use in a review such as this.  However, as with my other reviews I will attempt to outline the usefulness of this Bible.

Review of the NASB Thompson Chain Reference Bible
Figure 1
The Good
First, the Thompson Chain is a stealth study Bible.  Stealth in that the vast majority of the study tools are in the back of the book on pages 1613 – 2238.  You read that right, there are 625 pages of “Comprehensive Bible Helps” starting on page 1613.  That is 28% of the publication.  I am pleased that those helps are in the book, especially that they are in the back.  That arrangement does not distract from the text of the Bible.  Each page of the Bible is mostly Bible rather than notes.  That allow one to study with less distractions.  Figure 1 is the Index on page 1614 of the Bible (if you click on the picture you will get a larger image).  A casual glance through that index reveals a wealth of material.  Note especially the second entry, “Principles of Bible Study”.  One of the benefits of the Thompson Chain is that it supports and encourages personal engagement in study this is the second article in the Book on Bible Study, the first is in the prefaces on page xii – xiii.  

Review of the NASB Thompson Chain Reference Bible
Figure 2
The primary difference between the Thompson Chain and other NASB Bibles is also its primary benefit.  The Thompson Chain handles cross references differently than other Bibles.  Consider Figure 2.  There are three sets of notes on a page, the far-left column, the far-right column, and footnotes.  Look at the far-left column.  You will seen next to the title of the Letter, two entries, “2697 Writer, Paul,” and “4277 Analysis of the Epistle.”  These “pilot numbers” direct you to the articles in the back of the Bible.  I like the article on Paul because it does not give you answers other than the passages that refer to Paul in the text of the New Testament.  There is a suggested outline of Paul’s life, but that would not preclude you from coming to your own conclusions.  This again is a feature that encourages your personal study of the Scripture.  Rather than summarizing the content of the passages, you are told where you can find them and are left to ponder them on your own.  The next entry, “4277” is the introduction material for Second Timothy.  This is more in line with what you may find in other study Bibles: place and date, purpose, historical occasion, peculiarities of the epistle, and a synopsis in fairly detailed outline form.  I would encourage you to do an overview of the book prior to consulting this article.  To look at it prior to doing your own study would likely skew your observations toward their conclusions.  While I understand their outline, I do not agree with either their breakdown or their emphases.

Finally I would draw your attention to the notes to the left of the beginning of the epistle.  Notice that when a topic is mentioned in the text in the left or right center column, for example, Paul’s apostleship, you will find a similar notation in the left or right outside column like, “202 Paul’s Apostleship”.  These follow the same format as mentioned above concerning “2697 Writer, Paul.”  Again, these “pilot numbers” refer to the chains in the back of the book.  These chains are what gives the Thompson Chain Reference Bible its name.  There are about 100,000 references in the chains.  Note that under the “202” reference there is noted “p.p. John 3:16.”  This is a reference that is a parallel passage and is independent of the chains.  

I find this system very good for a reference Bible.  The reason is what I stated above.  The notes, diagrams, and introductions to the different books do not distract from the text.  

The not so good
If you will look again at figure 1 or 2, you will note that you can see and possibly read what was printed on the previous page.  This is because the paper on which this book is printed is exceptionally thin.  You will notice in figure 1 that I wrote in the page number on page 1614, you can plainly see where I wrote 1613 on the other side of the page.  It did not bleed through, nor did a highlighter I tested; however, I use archival quality pens and highlighters.  While it did not bleed through, it is certainly noticeable and would possibly make reading the next page somewhat difficult.

That would seem to suggest that this Bible will not travel well.  Its best use would be a reference in your study.  I would certainly test any pen or highlighter on one of the blank pages or in a margin that is clear before using them on this book.

Conclusion
If you are looking for a good reference to expand your Bible Study, this would be a good selection.  You can get this book from BibleGateway here or from Amazon here.  If you choose to purchase this from Amazon, Entrusting Truth will receive a small part of your purchase as a donation from Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment