Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

How do Comparison and Contrast Help?

In the workshops on how to study the Bible, I stress the need to be aware of structure of the text.  We all have heard that if we see a therefore in the text that we need to see what it is “there for.”  But there are a great deal more “structural markers” than “therefore.”  Here is a list of some of the markers you may find in the text.  You will notice that comparison and contrast are on that list.  Sometimes the comparison and contrast is not immediate in the text.  For instance…

I mentioned earlier that I am studying Mark this year.  For the past several days I have been contemplating the similarities and differences between the message of John the Baptist (Mark 1:4) and the message of Christ in Mark 1:15.  Both have the notion of repentance but there is a difference after that.
When we see comparison or contrast in the Bible we need to stop and think through why it is there and what it tells us.
John preached baptism for the forgiveness of sins.  Jesus said believe in the gospel of the kingdom.  One was an action the other was faith.  Why the difference?  Is it significant?  What do you think?  I will share my thoughts on this tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. That's deep. I will like to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is great, how can I help? Shoot me an email, mike@entrustingtruth.org

      Delete