Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Monday, April 2, 2012

Into the Weeds

One of my objectives today was to read through Colossians, the plan is to do that every day during the duration of the study we are doing for the next five weeks.  But, I did not make it, yet.
Getting into the weeds in Bible study too soon may cause you to miss the overall message of a book.
Got distracted.  Started looking more closely at what verbs Paul used in the first chapter and how he used them.  How they related to one another, what was their person, number, tense, mood, and voice and in the case of the participles, case.  I know.  I got bogged down in the weeds when I was supposed to be skimming through the trees.

One of the things I constantly harp on with folks is the need to get an overall handle on the book prior to diving down into the weeds of analysis.  It is important to get there eventually, but one has to understand the lay of the land before one makes the plunge (I sense that there is a really good analogy in there somewhere).  It just goes to show you that even when we know better, sometimes we get sidetracked.

It probably says a lot about me that I really enjoyed the weeds today.

No comments:

Post a Comment