Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Assignment

How do you approach the Lord for your devotional?  If you do not have an answer for this and would like some ideas let me know.  I will share some.  For me the Word is central and it drives me to Prayer.  For my wife prayer is central and she spends time in the Word.
Sometimes the Lord leads us to more than we start with in our devotional time with Him.
For the past several years I have been using an old version of the Episcopal Book of Common Prayer.  I picked it up at my roommates wedding in Huntsville, Alabama probably in the late 1970’s.  I use the daily lessons and Psalms.  The first year I went through both morning and evening sections.  This year I am working through the evening section only.

Whatever Episcopal priest put this together did not do so randomly.  I do not always see why he chose to put together the passages listed for the day, but more often than not I see some connection between those passages.  Today was no exception.

See if you see the connection, the picture is today’s evening lessons and Psalms.  The thread started for me in Ezekiel 34:11-16, 30 - 31, and continued in John 21:1 - 19.

Working through this, the Lord led me to some other passages that picked up the theme:
  • Proverbs 27:23
  • 1 Thessalonians 5:14
  • Hebrews 12:15
  • Galatians 6:1 - 2
  • Isaiah 61:1
Rather than tell you what I saw, take a gander for yourself and should you feel led, share what you see in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment