Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, April 6, 2013

Observation Demo 2

Yesterday I started sharing some observations on Ephesians 1:4.  The purpose is to demo one of the ways I work through a passage.
What else do we look for as we study the Bible?
The second phrase that grabbed me in Ephesians 1:4 was, “He chose us.”  Several observations and some reaction:
  • He chose us
  • We did not choose Him
  • It was His action.  
  • It was His volitional choice.  
  • He acted.  
  • We played no part in His choice.  
  • Most people I know recoil at this notion; at some level I do as well.  
  • It is humbling to consider that my position in Christ is not by my choice.  
  • As a man I want to be in control.  I want to make the decisions.  I want to be the master of my fate as “Invictus” states.  
  • It is against my nature as a rebellious, independent, fallen man to easily accept that it was God who chose me and not the reverse.
  • That also breeds a desire to find some merit or explanation of why God chose me.  But the cross reference Romans 5:6 – 8 quickly disabuses me of taking that direction in my thinking.
More tomorrow.

The posts in this series:


2 comments:

  1. Does it follow that there is a group of people -the unchosen - for whom salvation is unattainable?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a great question. It is clear from multiple passages in the New Testament that it is God who chooses, calls, opens the eyes, and gives faith to those who become believers.

    Romans 8 - 11, Ephesians 1 - 3 are a couple of central passages on this. There are others.

    The trouble for us is we do not have the information on who He has chosen and we have the responsibility to beg all to be reconciled to Christ. 2 Corinthians 5:14ff.

    So the answer is yes. There will be some with which we share the gospel who will not respond. God having not chosen them. Again we do not have that information so our job is to share with everyone knowing that God has chosen some of those with whom we are sharing.

    ReplyDelete