Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Warfare

If you have read much of John Eldredge’s work you have been reawakened, possibly, to the reality of spiritual warfare.  By that I mean the activity of Satan and his cadre of demons.  Most of my Christian life I was in a fog about this.  Sure, I knew and memorized 1 Peter 5:8 and James 4:7 – 8, but somehow the notion that I really had to engage in this was at best misunderstood and a worse relegated to “fringe” groups of really off the wall believers.  That is an untenable position.  If there is a Christ, there is a Satan.  If I believe the Bible, and I do, it shows both Christ and Satan active up to Revelation 19 - 20 where Satan is finally defeated and banished.
1 Peter 5:8 tells us we have an active enemy and how to resist him, most of us do not do a very good job of that.  Why?
So that means that I have to take 1 Peter 5:8 and James 4:7 – 8 seriously.  Reading in Psalm 118:10 the other day I was impressed by the psalmist’s approach to war.  Look at the last phrase of that verse, “In the name of the Lord I will surely cut them off.”  The psalmist engages his enemy but does so in the name of the Lord.  He recognizes he has no strength in himself, only in the Lord.  This concept shows up again in Jude 9 and Zechariah 3:2.  In both cases those who had great authority and power did not confront Satan directly but appealed to the Lord to rebuke the master deceiver.

It seems a good model for us.  James4:7 outlines the approach to resisting the devil.  First submit to God.  Second resist.  The model in Zechariah 3:2 and Jude 9 seems to follow James’ exhortation.  So probably should we.

No comments:

Post a Comment