Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hope

Eleven years ago my parents were about to leave for their home after a visit.  We were stopped from their exit by the news on Fox that a plane had hit the World Trade Center.  Then as we watched the coverage in shock we were stunned as we saw the second plane hit the second tower.  Our world, as well as yours changed.
In the midst of a life that does not make a lot of sense, where do we find hope?
There has been a lot of talk about hope in the past few years.  In Psalm 39 David is thinking about the transient nature of his life.  If you are familiar with his story you know that his life was filled with terror and turmoil.  In verse 7 he declares that in the midst of all that his life was, his hope was in the Lord.

When I think about my life I cannot make the same claim.  My hope is to have a increasingly better relationship with my wife.  My hope is for my children and their children to prosper and love one another.  My hope is for the next election to end with the result I want.  My hope is for our ministry to increase in influence and effectiveness.  My hope is for financial relief.  My hope is for all of the strife in the world to end, selfishly, so I can travel more easily.

But David said, and mine should be, that his hope was in the Lord.  For the last couple of days we looked at wait in Psalm 25:1 – 3.  You will note that in Psalm 39:7 David parallels wait with hope.  Waiting on God results in hope.  All of the other avenues I pursue for hope are treacherous dead ends.

1 comment:

  1. There is hope, and then there is hope - as far as our ordinary language is concerned. Here is arid Colorado where wildfires have raged and could again at any time they are forecasting two days of 50% chance of rain. For here, that's a high percentage.

    I sure hope it does. But I'm not at all confident.

    When David uses that word, and Paul and Peter and most biblical writers, it seems obvious they mean "expectation." By faith in "God, who cannot lie" that what they hope for in Him WILL occur.

    I also "hope" that a lot of things will happen - a better relationship with my wife, my children, now my grandchildren. I hope at least a little of my ministry will endure. I hope I can retire someday, at least in terms of financial support, I hope America will remain somewhat free and prosperous for my descendents, etc. and etc. Some of those thing will likely happen. But some won't, because God has other plans.

    Paul said to Titus that one of his passions was "the knowledge of the truth which is according to godliness, in the hope of eternal life, which God, who cannot lie, promised long ages ago...." (1:1,2). We won't be in the least disappointed in that. In fact, we will be staggered at that glory.

    It's a constant challenge to truly hope in the right way and right "things." A great challenge, Mike. Thanks for raising it.

    ReplyDelete