Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Re-calibration


On Wednesday mornings for the past 10 years or so I have been in a Bible study with several men.  This year we are working through Romans.  Two weeks ago we started on chapter 8 which is the first of four really difficult chapters.  This morning we were wrestling through a review of what we have discussed in the last couple of weeks and then dove headfirst into chapter 9.  Paul, as you know, deals with a number of topics in chapters 8 - 11 that are at varying levels controversial.  Things like foreknowledge, predestination, election, eternal security, and the role of God's choice in our salvation.

The Bible is our Re-Calibration Standard.
At the end of our time together, one of the men, said, "You know, if what Paul is saying is right, and he continues to work at evangelism like he does, my understanding of predestination is not the same as his; I am going to have to think about this."  (Not an exact quote but close.)

Wow.  I do not think he intended to, but in one sentence he clearly expressed the reason we have to continually dig back into the Bible.  It is a fact that we do not comprehend the heart and mind of God fully.  No matter how much study we do, how many books we read, how many messages we listen to, our understanding of our Lord will not apprehend His glory fully.  What my friend expressed is our need, my need, to continually dig into the Word to have it reveal to me where my understanding of Him and His truth needs to be adjusted.  One of my long time mentors put it this way, "The Christian life is a continual journey out of idolatry into true worship."  It is a continual process.  When we think we have it all figured out, someone will make an observation that shakes our understanding.  That should drive us back to the Word.

2 comments:

  1. Terrific meditation, Mike, and something I increasingly try to keep in mind as I get older (and older). In fact, I would say that one of the great benefits of years going by is to realize how little I know about anything - especially God and His truth.

    Should I be surprised? I don't think so. I should be surprised (and frightened) if I think I know most everything about anything in the Bible - and therefore become dogmatic and sure. That was one of the very problems with Job's "friends."

    After all, God is infinite, therefore His truth is infinite. I'm personally thrilled that I have eternity with Him; I'll need it, and still never get to know all of Him.

    Imagine! Some people think that eternity in heaven could get BORING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great response - especially since it was you I was quoting.

      Delete