Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Monday, January 23, 2012

Investment

Jim Elliot wrote in his journal on October 28, 1949, “He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose.” That came to mind this morning as I was reading Psalm 39. In verses 5, 6, and 11, David describes his and our life as a handbreadth, a breath. James describes our lives as a vapor in 4:14 of his book. I believe all of this. I struggle with all of this.


The “problems” of this life, this handbreadth, are in my face daily. It is easy to focus on them and forget that they are sub-temporary in relation to the reality of who the Bible says I am in Christ. I fret about the state of our family’s finances, the state of the nation, if my kids can make it through the challenges that they face in life – forgetting Philippians 3:20, I am  not a citizen here. Forgetting Colossians 3:1 – 3, my life is not here. As C. S. Lewis so eloquently put it, we live in the Shadowlands.

In Matthew 6:19 – 21, Christ commands us to live with that reality in mind. Our focus is not to be here, now. It is to be on there, then. Heaven, eternity. We are to invest, what we cannot keep, our lives, our money, our vaporous existence, in that which we cannot loose, our eternal life in Christ’s kingdom. Further, we are to be about rounding up as many people as we can to join us there, Jude 22 – 23.

No comments:

Post a Comment