Read just now in Hebrews 2:3 about the dangers of neglect. Got me to thinking about neglect and how that impacts my relationship with Christ. Curious, I looked up “neglect” online…
- to pay no attention or too little attention to; disregard or slight.
- to be remiss in the care or treatment of: to neglect one's family; to neglect one's appearance.
- to omit, through indifference or carelessness: to neglect to reply to an invitation.
- to fail to carry out or perform (orders, duties, etc.): to neglect the household chores.
- to fail to take or use: to neglect no precaution.
When I neglect my relationship with Christ, my whole life gets out of whack. I focus on the wrong things, I get anxious about just about everything. I find that neglect is easy. Without noticing, it will suddenly dawn on me that I have not spent time with Christ in days. What happened? I got busy and the relationship fell into neglect. For me that is time in the Word with my journal, waiting on Him.
The antonyms for neglect are attention or care. If we are to take Hebrews 2:3 at face value, what we are being told is that we are supposed to pay close attention to our relationship with the Lord, we are to nurture and care for it. As a matter of fact that is what Hebrews 2:1 says.
What are some ways that you use to help you keep from neglecting Christ?