Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Should We Pray and Sing to the Spirit?

This next week we are finishing our study of Mark.  So this week I have been working on my summary of the book.  There were some passages in chapter one that got me thinking about something that has been bothering me for several weeks.
Should We Pray and Sing to the Spirit?
All of us sing hymns and choruses in our churches.  Most of the time we sing them without really paying attention to the words.  Most of the older hymns are Biblical, most.  Many of the newer songs are as well.  Some, not so much.

There are several songs that are directed at the Holy Spirit.  I have wondered if that is appropriate.  I have been looking for Biblical support for that practice, thus far, I have not been able to find it.  If you have some passages that would direct us to do so, please do not hesitate to point me in the right direction.

So, back to Mark and how my summary relates to my question.  In Mark 1:8 John tells those listening that although he baptizes with water, Jesus will baptize us with the Holy Spirit.  It is interesting that the next paragraph tells us that the Spirit descended on Christ at His baptism by John.  So the one who would baptize us with the Holy Spirit has the Holy Spirit descend on Him.  Two persons of the Trinity present in that time.

That got me to thinking about the gifts of the Spirit.  I reviewed 1 Corinthians 12.  In that passage we are told that the Father and the Spirit are each involved in the distribution of gifts.  So we have Christ baptizing us with the Spirit and all three persons of the Trinity mentioned in the passage.  In verses 6, 18, 24, and 28, God the Father is the one who is distributing the gifts and forming the Body.  In verse 11, the Spirit is distributing.

So do we pray for these gifts?  We are told to seek them.  If that is by prayer who should we ask?  The model that Jesus gave us in Matthew 6:9 – 13, is to pray to the Father.  So shouldn’t our prayer be directed to Him?  If He is the one that is deciding the composition of the Body, should not we be seeking the “greater gifts” from Him?

Should our praise also be to Him?  If that is the case, why do we pray to the Spirit?  Why do we sing to the Spirit?

It seems to me that all that we do in coming to our Lord should align with His Word.  Does praying to the Spirit and singing to Him line up?  If so, how?

1 comment:

  1. I feel this is a little like a "fool stepping in where angels fear to tread." At the same time is is a valuable discussion to pursue. If we strive to be Biblical (which we should do) if we are extra-Biblical it should concern us.

    I don't know of an example or instruction that would indicate praying to the Spirit is Biblical. But neither can I think of any sort of prohibition. Does that give some room to at least consider the possibility that praying to the Spirit is legitimate?

    We do know that the Holy Spirit indwells true believers. Jesus also said that He would be with us during this age until He calls this age to an end. And we certainly know that the Father is God, the Son is God and so is the Spirit. True, they do have diverse ministries at least in some cases.

    On the other hand, all three are with us. Is it unreasonable that I would not have opportunity to appeal to any one of them at a time since they are my intimate Friends?. Since it is the Spirit that opens my understanding to the Word, why not ask Him sometimes. Does He need permission from the Father? Or does my prayer just fall to the floor because it's not addressed to the Father?

    In Acts 9 it seem that it's the Lord Jesus who appears to both Ananias and Saul, and they both respond by talking to Him.

    I plead guilty to addressing all three at certain times, and it seems more and more so these days of grief and mourning. I don't sense any rejection. I sense a release of tension and pain. But I know that my experience doesn't validate anything but my experience. This is the place for the theologians to weigh in; I'm way above my pay grade here.

    ReplyDelete