Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Choices

While I was working with a student ministry at Western Kentucky University, I took a few accounting classes.  One of the concepts that we studied was opportunity cost.  That refers to the reality that when one chooses to do something with their resources other options are necessarily eliminated.  That is especially true when resources are limited.  We are all limited, regardless of our financial situation, with time.  We each have 168 hours.  If we use an hour for something, that hour is gone, it cannot be retrieved, recycled, repurposed, nothing else can be done with that hour.  That is a true opportunity cost.
Choices limit our choices.  Thoughts at DTTB.
Each day we have a tsunami of opportunities that are vying for those hours.  We choose which opportunities on which to either spend or invest our hours.  At the moment I am engaged in four Bible studies with another one pending.  Each of those takes preparation.  I just finished preparing for one tomorrow morning.

There are several TV shows I like.  It does not matter what they are, but two were on tonight for the first time this season.  I watched the first one with my wife and then got up and went to the study.  I chose not to watch the show (full disclosure we DVRed it – I refuse to watch a show unless it is recorded that way I zap the 17 minutes of commercials – so I will watch it later).  I am curious as to how last season’s cliffhanger resolves, but it will have to wait.

We all have the time we need to spend time in God’s Word.  We just have to choose to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment