Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Thursday, August 15, 2013

Perception

Familiarity with a passage can sometimes cause you to miss other significant truth.  I memorized and use over and over again Psalm 90:12, so when Psalm 90 comes up in my reading, my thoughts are typically pulled to the concepts that emerge from that verse.  Today was different.  It was verse 16 that grabbed me by the throat.
In what ways do we see God differently than our children?  Why is that?  Thoughts at DTTB.

I noticed that the perception of God was different for the parent and the child.  I do not want to make too much of this, but the difference makes sense to me.  Adults have a longer perspective.  As we mature we can see the impact of God in our lives and the lives of others over time.  We see His hand and the result of His work in people and situations.

Our kids do not have that perspective; especially young children.  They see the immediate.  The big.  The awesome.  As Moses put it the majesty.  But they do not stay children, they grow.  Eventually they become parents.  As their perspective changes they begin to see the work of God not only in their lives but in the lives of their children.

It occurs to me that the parent may be the lens through which the child begins to notice the majesty of God.  Which emphasizes the importance of our growth in our apprehension of His work.  This seems to align with the exhortation we get as parents in Deuteronomy 6:6 – 7, 20.

No comments:

Post a Comment