Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Repetition

Observe
I have written several times in this blog about the value of observing repetition in Bible study.  Here is another example of how it can help you determine the arc of an author’s arguement.
The Tuesday study is shifting to Romans 4 - 8.  In preparation for that study I was skimming through those chapters.  I noticed that one key word was repeated in each chapter
Repetition gives us a fairly strong indication of what an author is trying to tell us.  Thoughts at DTTB.
ChapterWord Frequency
4
Faith
10
5
Sin
11
6
Death/Died
17
7
Law/Commandment
27
8
Spirit
21

Understand
When you look at that data, it sorta kinda tells you Paul's point...

1 comment:

  1. Very valuable point and suggestions. I'm amazed at myself, and others I study, the propensity to leap to opinions or maybe even worse, applications, without clearly observing what the text says. I got to thinking about my recent studies in Matthew in another context, and the emphasis Jesus put on hearing and understanding. In a preliterate society the text would have come in verbal form, therefore they would need to first get what was said, then develop their understanding. I did a quick on "hear AND understand" in Matthew, and found seven times these two words were mentioned and related as well as a few other places. The context and applications are different, but the point seems to be the same - we need to observe and then understand.

    Try it yourself. And be sure and look at Acts 8:30, also.

    ReplyDelete