Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Wait

If you have read much of this blog you will remember that I have pointed out that repetition of words and phrases are significant observational cues for understanding what the author is communicating.  In Psalm 25:1 – 3 there are significant words repeated and a significant contrast.
We are told to wait on the Lord. Ok. What does that mean?  What does that look like in daily practice?
The words and phrases repeated:
  • Do not let
  • Be ashamed and will be ashamed
The contrast:
  • Wait vs deal treacherously
David is asking not to be shamed.  In course of that request he makes the emphatic statement (the structural marker “indeed,” emphasizes his statement) that those who wait for God will not be ashamed.

Give some thought to that.  In what ways can we wait on God?
  • In my relationships
  • In my work
  • In all of the choices I make daily
If I were to wait on Him for all of these, my sense and David’s emphatic declaration is that I will not be ashamed in any of those arenas.

I do not do that very well.  Like many type A personalities I have a bias for action.  Do not stand there – do something.  That has gotten me in trouble – shame.  If I were to wait, on God’s direction in all that I do, the word here is that shame would be avoided.

My initial reaction is that this sounds fine in theory but there is no way that it would work in practice.  But then I realize that I have not really tried.  Perhaps by waiting I will sense God’s direction more quickly and more clearly.

The significant contrast tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment