Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, May 25, 2014

Memorial Day

Tomorrow is Memorial Day.  We celebrated it in our church this morning.  Differently than I have ever experienced it.  Four members of the congregation shared who their heroes in faith are that they want to remember.  It got me thinking.  In February of 2012 I listed in my journal 61 men who had impacted my life.  This morning I began to think about those who have built into the core of what I do…
Do you remember who has helped you get where you are in the Christian Life?  Thoughts at DTTB.
The following men are my "Yodas"
  • Harry Steck – handed me three sheets of paper in 1973 I still have and equip men with today, verse analysis study.
  • Chuck Steen – challenged and demonstrated to me commitment to the study and application of God’s Word.
  • Terry Cook – gave me 8 cassette tapes by Howard Hendricks on Synthetic Bible Study (you can find them here at Discipleship Library, scroll down until you see the eight messages... they are listed alphabetically by title...).  Invited me to join his study to learn this method.
  • Pastor whose name I do not remember at a Bible church in Selma who let me copy his notes from Hendricks class at Dallas Seminary.
  • Larry Whitehouse – placed a barrier of 20 hours of study between me and the ministry each week teaching meme that my first job in ministry is mastery of the Scripture.
  • Howard Hendricks – first through tapes and then at DTS taking his course and grading his leadership class.
  • Dave Jewitt – encouraged me to be more intentional in equipping men in the Word.
These are the ones who contributed most to what I do now in terms of my passion for the Word and the passion to equip men to study the Word.  That in no way diminishes the importance of the other 54 men whom I have not named.  If I were to begin to list the authors who have impacted me you would quit reading if you haven’t already.

The point of all this is that we are members of a body.  Paul tells us that in 1 Corinthians 12, Romans 12, and Ephesians 4.  We cannot and will not navigate this Christian journey successfully, without significant help and influence from others in the Body.

It is good that we remember that and remember and thank God for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment