Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Friday, May 16, 2014

Bible Study Demo Part 5

Yesterday I mentioned that I would show you the finished product today.  As I have thought through that it was basically a reaction to the awkwardness of talking and typing at the same time.  The videos on this are about 20 minutes right now.  Part of what I want to show you is that you can do this in a short amount of time and get a lot more out of your time in the Word.

So for at least a few more days I am going to continue to work through 1 John 1.  You may have noticed that I missed some repetition yesterday.  I will start with that today.
Tomorrow I will share some more observations on verse 3.

Posts in this series
Part 8
Part 7
Part 6
Part 4
Part 3
Part 2
Part 1

5 comments:

  1. Thanks, Mike. Two suggestions, if I may (I bet you know):
    1) MS Word has an easier (shorter) way to split the table: set cursor on the row to be 1st after split, select Table Tools, Layout, Split Table.
    2) Special symbols like spaces, tabulation, table cell and paragraph markers may distract some folks. Those are toggled off/on with Ctrl+*.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know about #1 thanks it is cleaner. On #2 I leave them on so I can see the formating. Frankly, I do not see them any more, but I use them so that I know what is happening behind the text in MS Word. For the purpose of this exercise I leave them on so I know I do not make a formating mistake as I work through the process...

      Delete
  2. Mike, I see you are sharing how you do passage analysis. Until now -- text alignment and hilighting -- is clear. Now when you start adding your notes, a question:
    How do you handle observation, interpretation, correlation and application phases? Any markers to use in the notes? (may be you already intend to share in the coming sessions)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. In the workshops and in this series, and in fact in this blot I am focusing on Observation. Most people leave that too soon. We do not notice the repetition of the structural elements like the five conditional statements in 1 John 1:6 - 10. We start with the wrong question, "What does that mean?"

      In most cases, probably in excess of 90% of the cases, the Bible means what it says. So the question I am continually asking is, "What does this say?"

      Earlier I suggested that you listen to prof's messages on synthetic study. In his class on Bible study the first assignment was to make 50 observations on Acts 1:8. The second assignment was to make 50 more... and so on. The record was about 670 observations.

      It is as you summarize your observations, that you begin to interpret, really all you are doing is codifying what you see.

      There are some questions you can use based on the structural laws that are in place. I will share those, but in some cases one will not be able to answer the questions. Typically they lead to more and better observation...

      Delete
    2. The Prof's challenge on Acts 1:8 sounds appealing. I will work on it.

      Delete