Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Monday, April 14, 2014

The Power of the Word

The Word of God is powerful, regardless of whether one accepts it.  Thoughts at DTTB.
A year and a half ago I wrote five posts on Psalm 138:1 – 3.  Today I want to look at Psalm 138:4.

The passage struck me because of the result that is described.  All kings give thanks.  The cause is hearing the Words of God.  I found that incredible.  So I looked to see if there was some nuance in the Hebrew that explained the effect of the Words of God on all the rulers of the earth.  I expected to see some nuance like understand or comprehend.  But no.  It just means “hear.”

How can that be?  How can the Words of God’s mouth cause all of the kings of the earth to give thanks?  As I thought through that Hebrews 4:12 – 13 came to mind.  Then Philippians 2:9 – 11.  Then Revelation 19:11 – 16.  From Psalm 138:4 through Revelation 19:11 – 16 we have a picture of the Word of God in both verbal, written, and incarnated forms powerfully impacting not just the lives of believers, but the governments of the world.

They may not believe it.  They may not respect it.  That does not diminish its power.  It will cause them to respond as God intends.

2 comments:

  1. Interesting! And I totally agree with the basic thesis that the Word of God is all powerful, and will always come about according to His purposes and in His time. A mentor one time observed that God makes no threats, only promises.

    And it is obvious that the Word is the standard for judgment (John 12:47-50), But for the rebellious they are words of condemnation no matter what their earthly status as (among other passages) Revelation 20:11-15 seems clear about.

    At first read I would take "will give thanks" as a positive statement of gratefulness for some "blessing." While I firmly believe your concluding paragraph, Mike, it doesn't help me understand my dilemma. Would we say that finally at the judgment the Hitlers of world history (along with all others not in the book of life) will acknowledge who Christ is, and give thanks for God's greatness and wisdom even as they cascade into the bottomless pit?

    Help me out here, anyone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great question. I do not think that they will all give thanks willingly, nor do I think that their acknowledgment of the Lordship of Christ will be of anything other than that of a signatory of an instrument of surrender. They are simply acknowledging, albeit grudgingly, that they were wrong. He is Lord. He is Creator. At that point it is too late for them their fate is sealed.

      After all Satan acknowledges it, the demons knew who He was while on earth and submitted to His command. Acknowledging the truth without trust is not the same as accepting His sovereign lordship over one's life.

      What do you think?

      Delete