Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Trust in Relationships

Many of us revel in our friends.  We count ourselves – lucky is probably not the right word – rich if we have a solid group of good friends.  That is appropriate, Jesus surrounded himself with men to be with him.  A cursory reading of Acts reveals a long list of names of men and women who were associated with Paul’s ministry.  Proverbs 18:24 is both encouraging and a warning on this.
Trust in Relationships
Psalm 55 surfaced in my reading program yesterday (M'Cheyne Reading Plan).  This Psalm has been one that has gripped and guided my journey with God several times over the years.  This time I was struck by 12 – 14 and 16.

Reading through this just after studying John 13 – 19 probably has colored what I am seeing here.  Christ was betrayed by Judas, one of his “friends”.  He quotes Psalm 41:9 when He reveals the betrayer to John (John 13:18).  Psalm 55:12 – 14 also could describe Jesus’ relationship with Judas.

All of us have had disappointments in relationships with close friends.  Some have been betrayed, probably not at the level that Christ was betrayed.  But look at how Christ viewed that betrayal.  Shortly after Judas leaves, Jesus in the garden prays that His Father would glorify the Son so that the Son could glorify the Father (John 17:1).  In fact, if we look through the gospel, we find that Christ was laser like focused on that purpose; glorifying, magnifying His Father.

Psalm 55:16 then, for me takes on a more significant weight, especially coming right after 12 – 14.  David responds to the betrayal by calling on God.  Putting this haphazardly together, it occurs to me that there are times that I trust in my relationships.  As much as a gift of God friends are, trusting in them inches up on idolatry.  Rather it seems that in all of my relationships I have to continually trust God.

When Judas betrayed Christ, Christ trusted His Father to glorify Him.  If in my relationships I trust God, then at some level, I cannot be disappointed.  I can trust that what happens my Father will use both in my life and in the life of my friend.

This gives me a more certain ground on which to stand.  This allows me to pray more effectively for those who may have injured me.  This allows me to have more appropriate expectations of friends.  It gives me more questions to bring before the Lord.

It gives great peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment