Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, July 5, 2014

Grasping at Leadership 6

Continuing, Hebrews 5:8 – 10 is a difficult passage, at least for me.  I am still working through these so I know I do not have a handle on them yet.  They raise more questions for me than they answer.  For instance:
  • In what sense does the Son of God, the second person of the Trinity, learn, and specifically learn obedience
  • In what sense did suffering make the Son of God complete?
  • One might think that the Son of God would somehow get some special treatment but He had to learn through suffering, why?

There are some passages that leave me with more questions than answers.  Thoughts at DTTB.
By the way, that happens a lot to me in Bible study, I end up with more questions than I have answers.  If I am honest, the more I study, it seems the less I know.

Tentatively, this is where I am on these.  It seems to me that the chapter division is unfortunate.  Hebrews 4:14 – 16 seems to fit with chapter 5.  As you know the chapter and verses were added later and sometimes they break up the thought of the author.  It seems that this is the case here.  One option, to which I am leaning at the moment, is that perfect in 5:9 refers to the end of chapter 4.  Because He suffered He can sympathize.  It is for that reason we can draw near and expect grace.

I am still working on this.  This is a rich, rich vein that is not mined quickly.  It would be worth your time to dig in here as well.

We will end tomorrow with an observation on the last part of Hebrews 5.

Posts in this series:
Grasping at Leadership 5
Grasping at Leadership 4
Grasping at Leadership 3
Grasping at Leadership 2
Grasping at Leadership

No comments:

Post a Comment