Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, October 20, 2013

Scales

Psalm 19 is one I like for a number of reasons.  First, David aligns natural and Biblical revelation of God foreshadowing Paul in Romans 1 and 2.  Second, early in my walk with God we sang 7 – 11 in our meetings and around campfires together.  But I want to focus on verse 10 for a bit with you.

In what way do we in the Church follow the world?  Thoughts at DTTB.

This morning those of us who are attempting to follow Christ together met.  We met at different places all over the city.  With the group with which I met one of the men shared some thoughts he had gleaned from his time in the Word.  he challenged those of us there with the reality that less and less of the people in this country and for that matter in the world grow up under the influence of the Bible much less attempting to live following Christ.

He’s right.

He was speaking of those who are not in the habit of joining those who come together during the week to celebrate following Christ.  He had specific issues with which he challenged those gathered before him.  It occurs to me that the issues to which he spoke impact those gathered as well as those who do not.

Psalm 19:10 says that the Word of God is more desirable than gold, not just any gold; fine gold, pure gold, and not just a little, much.  Is it your experience that when faced with a choice between gold and the Bible that most of the people who gather in groups on Sundays, would choose the Bible?  How many times do you think the pursuit of gold, much fine gold has taken priority over pursuit of the Word of God.

I am aware that we are commanded to take care of our families, 1 Timothy 5:8.  I wonder though if we have not forgotten that taking care is not necessarily defined by our culture.  I wonder why some will suggest that we should first build our fortunes and then in our second half pursue God?

This is not intended to be more than a query.  I am pretty sure – no sure – that I do not have great answers for this.  What I do know is that the pursuit of gold, read career, has taken priority over the schedules of many of the men with whom I have been acquainted.  In their scales the gold wins.  There have been times in my life that has been true.

Not sure that was or is the right order.

No comments:

Post a Comment