Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Preach or Proclaim?

While I will not characterize myself as a Greek scholar, because of studying the language at WKU and at DTS, I have a working knowledge.  I study with the Greek and English in parallel.  In the past year or so I have been struggling with the way that some of our translations render some key terms in our versions and translations.
Preach or Proclaim?
Κηρύσσω (kerysso) is one of those words.  In your version it is probably rendered “preach”, 2 Timothy 4:2 (here @ Bible Gateway), is an example.  Through history up to 2 AD, the word meant “herald” or “proclaim.”  It had the sense of an ambassador or page, crying out the message of the king.

One of the challenges of translating the word “preach” is that when we read “preach” what generally comes to mind?  Right, a preacher, behind a pulpit, at a church meeting.  However, if we think of the word as “proclaim” then that image is not as prominent.  All of us, regardless of our understanding of the Word, the length of time we have been believers or any training we have had in public speaking, can share, proclaim, what we know about Christ.  John 9 (here @ Bible Gateway) is a prime example of this reality.

So in my study, when I encounter “preach” in a passage, I think of it as “proclaim”.

That led me to consider another word in a study in January.

I will share that word and the impact of its combination with κηρύσσω tomorrow.  The thoughts have intrigued me for the past couple of months.  I look forward to your input on how it impacts you.

No comments:

Post a Comment