Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Monday, September 7, 2015

John in the Light

Familiar Territory
I have studied 1 John before.  I have demonstrated in this blog and in my workbook how to use structure to make observations in 1 John.  I have used that chapter on multiple occasions to demonstrate that skill.  I share that for context…
John in the Light
Always New
The Tuesday AM Bible study I attend is in 1 John for the next few weeks.  For the last two weeks we have been working on the overview of the book.  I saw a connection that I had not seen in all of the other times I have been through this book – I have said this before but it bears repeating.  The Bible is the only book I know that is fresh every time I approach it. No matter how many times I have studied a passage, there is more there that I can find…

Repetition is Key
One of the things about 1 John 1 is the density of the repetition of both terms and structure.  I won’t repeat what I have previously shared here, but look at 1 John 1:1 – 4.  Six times in those verses the words seen, looked, or manifested are repeated.  All of those are visual terms.  The passage is heavy on the use of the senses.

Light is Required
Now look at 1 John 1:5.  This is the declarative statement around which John builds his argument.  “God is light and in Him there is no darkness at all.”

It occurs to me that it is impossible to see or look at something that is manifested without light.

What Kind of Light?
That is taking me down a number of avenues of inquiry.  I sense that this is more than just physical light and sight, I will have to validate that as I go through the book, but the question is intriguing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment