Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Monday, June 16, 2014

Finished and Rest

You may remember that I am in a study on Hebrews.  I mentioned a few weeks ago the repetition of the theme of Christ’s completed work.  I was scanning through Hebrews 4 this afternoon getting a head start on the study for next week.  I noticed that in chapter 4 the writer talks about both the finished work of Christ and believer’s entering into His rest.
Ever feel like the Christian life is hard work?  Thoughts at DTTB.
There has been a lot of ink applied to paper on the topic of the rest by far smarter people than me.  Tentatively it seems to me that there is some connection between the believer’s completed position in Christ about which Paul spends so much time explaining in Ephesians, Philippians, and most clearly in Colossians.

It seems to me that we are part, that is our completed position in Christ, is part of His completed work.  I cannot become more complete in Him.  That is done.  I forget that.

I begin to try to gain favor with what I do for the Lord.  I know it sounds silly, but there is part of me that thinks that if I am consistent in Bible study, prayer, and other disciplines, somehow that makes me better, more complete.  So I strive.  I do not rest.  I do what the writer of Hebrews is cautioning against.  I set up some sort of system by which I can gain favor and go about busily failing at the system I set up.  Talk about futile.

It seems to me that my personal worship of Christ would be better served to simply praise Him for what He has already accomplished in me.  To rest in His completed work.  To revel in His glory and linger long in His presence without trying to gain favor that He has already bestowed on me.

But I forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment