Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Weary But Pursuing

It has been a long couple of days.  Last night was the last night of the current Dad’s Teach the Bible workshop.  Before we started last evening I had three meetings spread out through the day.  When I went to set up there was a short in one of the power cords.  That added about an hour to the setup.  More on that tomorrow it is a good story of God’s faithful direction.
How do you approach your Bible study when you are really tired?  Thoughts at DTTB.
Because it was the last night of the workshop I had to get all of my stuff out of the church.  I use a computer, two DVD players, a projector, and a sound system during the workshops.  The equipment fills seven boxes, not counting the easel and the four tripods.  This morning we started with an overview of Jeremiah in a room across the building from where we met last night.  (My wife pointed out I could have broken down all of the stuff this morning – I did not think about that last night.)  The result is I go home later than usual.  I was not prepared for the meeting at 0630 this morning.  So I worked on that until about 0100 this morning.

This has been another full day.  I just finished prep for two meetings tomorrow morning.  It is about 2130 (9:30 PM for those who missed the military.)  I am not done yet probably have another hour or so of work before I am done.

This is not a veiled appeal for sympathy.  I love what I do.  It is an incredible privilege to study and meet with men in the Word.  But I get tired.  In the Air Force we were not allowed to sleep in class, 16 hour work days was not an excuse.  If we got sleepy we were told to go stand in the back of the room so we would not go to sleep…  I have incorporated that into my office.  My kids will tell you that they have found me more than once standing to type on my computer or to read through a book or passage.

You have done that.  All of us have pulled all-nighters to finish something for work.  During this workshop one of the men made that comment but observed that he had never done that to finish a Bible study.  That was a keen observation.  We will work long and hard for that which does not last but will surrender to fatigue when it comes to our “optional” Bible study.

Thinking through this just now drew me to Judges 8:4.  You know the story of Gideon and his 300 handpicked warriors.  They had routed their enemy and were chasing them down to finish them off.  I love the way they are described, “…weary yet pursuing.”  That shows determination, perseverance, toughness, fortitude, focus, and other good qualities that won’t come to mind right now.

God’s Word, according to 2 Peter 1:3 – 4, allows us not only to see the nature of God but to partake in it.  That seems like something worth pursuing hard, even when weary.

No comments:

Post a Comment