Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, December 1, 2013

What Kind of Response 2

You may have picked up in the last few posts that I am working through 1 Peter.  If you have not studied that book in a while I would highly recommend it.  As I mentioned about five days ago we did the overview last week and are working through chapter 1 this week.  We study the book as a whole first, then the parts, and then synthesize it back into a whole.  There are a lot of reasons for this some of which I have covered elsewhere in these posts.
There is another facet to how we should respond to our redemption.  Thoughts at DTTB.
Yesterday I shared a part of some of the things I have seen.  I want to fill that out some today.  Working through the text I focus on observation.  Observation asks the question, “What does the text say?”  A couple of things that help me observe are the structural markers and repeated words and themes.  The structural marker “therefore,” helped me see yesterday’s post.  The repetition of the theme of blessing and rejoicing in 3, 6, and 8 led me to today’s.

The response to the magnitude of the redemption that God, the Holy Spirit, and Christ have wrought for us should result our blessing God and greatly rejoicing with overwhelming joy.  Those are emotive responses.  We are moved, or should be, by God’s overwhelming grace which He has lavished upon us.

Yesterday the emphasis was on a rational girding of our minds to continually learn of this God.  Not emotive.

Our response according to Peter is to be both intensely emotive and intensely rational.  Not either or.  A lot of us miss that.  We swing one way or the other.  Probably most of us miss that.  Yet another reason why those of us who are more rational need those who are more emotive and vice versa.  One thing that is very clear it is not OK to be only emotive or rational in our approach to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment