Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, November 27, 2011

Vapor in Pursuit of Nothing

Last night I got an email from a friend telling me that my friend and pastor had experienced a heart attack. He recently had and is still in the process of recovering from surgery for prostrate cancer. Last Monday, during lunch, he shared some of his struggles in recovery as we talked about what was going on in each of our lives.

This morning I was in Psalm 39. In verses 4-6 we read,
"Lord, make me to know my end and what is the extent of my days; let me know how transient I am. Behold, You have made my days as handbreadths, and my lifetime as nothing in Your sight; surely every man at his best is a mere breath. Surely every man walks about as a phantom; surely they make an uproar for nothing; he amasses riches and does not know who will gather them."
Reality is that much of what we deem important is not. When one with whom we are close faces something like what my friend has faced in these past months, it should prompt us to take stock of how we are investing our lives. Are we chasing "nothing" with the "vapor" of our lives or are we investing in eternity? The Bible tells us that there are only two things that will endure in eternity, the Word of God and the souls of men. My friend has given his life to these.

It is an example well worth following.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said Mike. Exactly what I needed to hear on a Monday morning. Thank you. Sean

    ReplyDelete