Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, August 26, 2023

Why Affliction?

 

One of my go to passages in Scripture is Psalm 119.  In verse 67 we read, “Before I was afflicted I went astray, But now I keep Your word.”  This passage puzzles me....more at DTTB.

One of my go to passages in Scripture is Psalm 119 (Here at Bible Gateway).  In verse 67 we read, “Before I was afflicted I went astray, But now I keep Your word.”  This passage puzzles me.  You may ask the question I do, “How does affliction move me toward obedience?”

You might answer that that affliction is caused by disobedience, but one of the purposes of Job (Here at Bible Gateway) is to prove that is not the case.

Perhaps it is because of weakness.  John 15:5 (Here at Bible Gateway) reminds us that apart from Him we can do nothing.  Since we are weak, perhaps it is about us learning to trust in Him during weakness.  I cannot deal with weakness unless I trust and abide in Him.

Or perhaps the answer is in 2 Corinthians 1:3 – 11 (Here at Bible Gateway) that we are afflicted too make us more effective in our ministry to others.

At this point in my journey, I lean toward the last option.  Affliction seems to make me lean on Christ more, which allows me to embrace the truth of His Word more, which then comforts me, causing me to understand and apply the Word more effectively in my life.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I don't know. I don't think the cause is as important as what happens in spite of: We're comforted, we comfort. Like Romans 8:28, God's great victory over the enemy (second only to the Resurrection in my opinion), is foiling the devil's plan to ruin our lives on this earth, by turning what he intended for evil into something good. Or, in this context, using our affliction to experience God's comfort, and to be able to comfort others. Just a though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, that is a great observation. Much better put than my attempt. Thank you.

      Delete