Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, August 23, 2023

Sharing the Truth

Jenny and I are traveling.  We landed in Vancouver this morning, or afternoon, depending on which time zone one referenced....more at DTTB.

Jenny and I are traveling.  We landed in Vancouver this morning, or afternoon, depending on which time zone one referenced.  We got up a 0345 to catch a 0601 flight.  We are touring the Canadian Rockies.  To get to the first hotel, we were provided with a chauffeur driving an Escalade.  His name was “Joe” and he was from Uganda.

We talked with Joe all the way to the hotel.  He asked me to guess where he was from I guessed Africa but got the wrong country.  He was intrigued with the number of countries I had been to in Africa and asked why.  I told him I worked with pastors equipping them to study the Word.  He noted that he appreciated anyone that worked at helping other humans – an interesting way to put that.

He was also intrigued with Jenny’s Alabama accent.  He thought she would be an effective public speaker – which, in fact, she is.

About 15 minutes into the conversation I asked him where he was in his spiritual journey.  He responded that it was a complicated question.  I agreed.  We then talked about different aspects of his journey and he asked some really good questions, for one of which I did not have a really good answer.

While we had a great time with Joe, I did not get to the issue and ask enough directly if he knew for certain what would happen with him when he died.  Before I could get to that we were at the hotel.  I failed to get to the meat, but perhaps gave him some things to think about.  I should have given him one of my cards so we could contact one another.  I will chalk that oversight up to fatigue, but I should have done better.

The point in sharing this is at least two fold.  

First it isn’t hard to get people talking about themselves.  I have had similar conversations with multiple Uber drivers during my treks to MD Anderson.  They will share something that they are struggling with, and I will ask them how they are dealing with that trauma, looking for a way to steer the conversation to the gospel.  I have found that almost always they are willing to talk about struggles.

Second, I do not always do this right.  I didn’t get to the gospel with Joe, and I haven’t gotten there with many of the Uber drivers.  I got closer with Joe, using the question about his spiritual journey, but I did not get where I was trying to go.

When we begin to talk with someone, it seems to me that there should be a pull to share the gospel with them.  Jude 22–23 (NASB95) says, “And have mercy on some, who are doubting; save others, snatching them out of the fire; and on some have mercy with fear, hating even the garment polluted by the flesh.”  Each time we get into a conversation with a stranger, we can apply this passage.  However, it is reality that we may not always get there.  We should be in prayer about doing this before, when, and after.

I am writing this to me as much as I am to you.

2 comments:

  1. So happy you are able to travel. Prayers have been answered. Safe travels my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you we had this scheduled twice before and both times Covid stopped us going.

      Delete