Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Friday, April 17, 2020

Barriers to Knowledge

A few days ago, in my quiet time the Lord took me to 2 Corinthians 10:5 – 6 (here @ Bible Gateway).  Note that I do not hear God’s voice, but there are times that He will bring a passage to mind.  I have learned that it is best to follow that lead.

Barriers to Knowledge

Last evening, I was speaking to a friend about some sessions our church is doing online during this “interesting time”.  During our conversation we began discussing how to help those who may have been in the faith for a long time but do not have the confidence nor have they been equipped to engage in the Word of God for themselves.  We were thinking through how a believer would get into this state.

One of the ways seems to be addressed by Paul in this verse.  I have heard, and I would expect that you have as well, speakers suggest things in addressing a passage that are not in the text.  In many cases they may be inferences that they have thought about that they think may apply to the text.  Or, they may be something that they have read somewhere that they think may clear up the text.  In some cases what I have heard was essentially made up and had no relation at all to the text being presented.  In the case of historical information that sets a context, I will admit that at times that can be interesting and somewhat helpful.

However, in this passage Paul says that he is destroying everything that is raised up against the knowledge of God.  Think about that for a minute.  If I am a young believer listening to a speaker and he shares a theory, an example, or a “fact” that is not evident in the text, what does that communicate to me?  Wouldn’t it communicate that I need to know those theories, examples, or “facts” in order to understand the Word of God?  In a real sense when a speaker adds to the text, he is communicating that without his help, those who are listening cannot really understand the Bible.  In a sense he is taking the Bible out of their hands.

Speakers who do that are raising up barriers against the knowledge of God.  In that they are creating a dependency on themselves or other secondary sources as a necessary means to rightly understand the Word of God.

My friend had shared in a presentation that he made a week or so ago, that the Word affirms that we are able to understand the Word of God:


We had a short discussion about what he meant by ordinary means.  I will expand on that next post.

2 comments:

  1. A topic so relevant, and so important needs probed for sure. It is frequently difficult for those of us who have not been "formally" trained, and have had access to gifted teacher to accept the reality of the Holy Spirit in your lives to lead and teach us. Two mornings ago I was reading in the last Bible my wife used Psalm 119. She had carefully written beside v. 5 ("Oh, that my ways were steadfast in obeying your decrees!") "Prayer of my heart." From 45 years of very close observation I can honestly say He answered her prayer. The condition of my heart is far more significant that the quantity in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall, you are a gifted teacher. One whose faith has been shaped by hours pouring over and praying through God's Word. Not to mention then applying what the Lord revealed to you in your time with Him. You and Sharon were cut from the same cloth.

      I was privileged to be around you.

      Delete