Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Monday, April 30, 2018

Rootless

One of the passages of Scripture that I love, to which I continually return, is Mark 4:1 – 20 (here @ Bible Gateway).  You know it as the parable of the sower or the parable of the soils.  The parable shows up in Matthew 13:1 – 23 (here @ Bible Gateway) and Luke 8:4 – 15 (here @ Bible Gateway) as well.
Rootless
I am particularly drawn to Mark 4:16 – 17 (here @ Bible Gateway).  Jesus is explaining the parable to the disciples.  He tells them that those who fade away in the midst of affliction or persecution “have no root in themselves.”

Why do they fade?

So I begin to consider how a root functions.  Not being a botanist, this is by observation and experience in cultivating a garden and landscaping around our different houses.  It seems to me that there are at least two functions the root of a plant serves, anchoring the plant and feeding the plant.

Living in Oklahoma I have seen the result of severe storms on vegetation, particularly trees.  Those with shallow root systems do not withstand the strong winds of thunderstorms or tornados.  Plants that do not have deep roots wither and die in the midst of the heat of the summer.

It is the second function, the feeding of the plant though that really has captured my attention.  The Lord has given me the privilege to work to equip pastors and leaders in Bible study over the past several years.  One would think that would not be necessary.  However, my experience has been that many, if not most, of those who speak or lead, are not in the Word regularly for themselves.  Rather, they depend on the work of others to sustain them.

Many of those who have been through a workshop or who I have helped individually have shared that they have not been personally engaged in the Word on a regular basis.

This last weekend during one of the pastors at our church shared a similar experience that he has with some other local pastors, they were struggling to get into the Word.  He also shared that studies show that most evangelical Christians do not spend more than 5 minutes a day in the Word or prayer.

It occurs to me that those who are only receiving the Word from others have no root.  There is no depth, no ability to process life Biblically.  One has to have the ability to do so.  Otherwise, as Christ said, they will immediately fall away when things get hard.

If you need help with this.  Let someone you know, a pastor, or a teacher you respect, know.  In lieu of that let me know.  I will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment