Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, March 6, 2016

Met in the Struggle

This afternoon I was really struggling with something that happened today.  The details of the struggle are not important, what happened as I was praying through the issue is.
Met in the Struggle
Typically, when I have my quiet time or devotional, I will check my reading plan, note the passages in my journal, pray, and then read through the day’s passages.  When I encounter something that the Lord highlights I write down the verse and any thoughts, observations, or applications that I may see.

The pattern breaks when I am struggling or thinking through an issue or event.  Today that was the case.  I started as usual, but as I began to pray I was writing out my struggle.  Nearly immediately, two sentences into the exercise in fact, two things happened.  First – and I do not hear the Lord audibly, rather He impresses with thought – It was if the Lord said, “Men will always disappoint, I will not.”  That dealt specifically with the issue with which I was struggling.  Then on the heels of that thought seven passages of Scripture came to mind one bringing the next to mind.  Here they are:
  • Psalm 37:4
  • Proverbs 3:5 – 6
  • Matthew 5:6
  • 1 John 5:14 – 15
  • Ezekiel 3:1 – 3
  • Jeremiah 15:16
  • 2 Peter 1:3 – 4
I will let you ponder what the lesson may have been for me.

2 comments:

  1. Your illustration is perfect, Mike. The setting reminds me of a modern Moses getting God's Word on the rugged mountain. And you would not have ended up where you did without years of committing to memory and reviewing passages of His Word.

    What a temptation, a fatal one, for me is to listen to my thoughts, and even worse to read mine into His. One of the old liturgical confessions says something like, "Lord, we have sought concessions rather than obedience to your will."

    His thoughts always present a required change in my thinking and acting, sometimes radically. Sometimes His words are kind, calming, a soothing balm. And our course - He loves us, desperately, to an extent I can't really grasp.

    But because He loves me, He is unwilling to just "let me go" on my own selfish and eternally destructive way. Sadly, so often I still want to.... The Water, the Bread of the Word, prove themselves life - when I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grata Michael so encouraging,sometimes we go through things in life which we do not seem to understand but through him when we trust in his timing and love he always leads us

    ReplyDelete