Navigating with a map and compass is not really all that hard. I taught all of my kids to do it when my youngest was 11. There are essentially three steps:
- Orient your map to North
- Line up your compass along the direction you want to go
- Turn the rose of the compass to get your bearing.
- Align your compass so that the north arrow is pointing north and pointing at north on the compass rose without turning the rose.
- The arrow of the compass will now be pointing at your bearing
- Pick a point at which the arrow is pointing.
- Walk to that point
- Repeat until you reach your destination
So there were three groups of two. The first group oriented their map, I helped them with this, in three weeks they had forgotten. They got their bearing, found a point and headed toward that point.
All of the groups had their bearings at that point. So after 5 minutes the second group found their point and then started off in another direction.
The third group did the same as the second group.
Only the first group followed directions. Only the first group made it to either of the objectives. The second and third group got completely lost.
That was my morning. Two thirds of the people I showed how to navigate ignored what I told them and they failed. The group that did what I told them to do succeeded.
Do you see the connection to the Christian life?