Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Sunday, January 10, 2021

Under Obligation

From time to time I read part of a devotional, The Valley of Vision: A Collection of Puritan Prayers & Devotions (VOV), during my personal devotions.  They are short; two pages.  But I tend to break them up into sentences and reflect on the message.  It seems that some of the Puritans thought when Paul commanded that we imitate him, that meant they were to write sentences like he did.  Some of their sentences are looooong.  I break those up.

Under Obligation

Yesterday this was the sentence that I wrote out in my journal:

Send me forth to have compassion on the ignorant and miserable.

I was struck by the depth and simplicity of the thought.  Most of the time these excerpts bring to mind verses that support what I read.  This was no exception.  Five passages came to mind.  The first was Romans 1:14 (here @ Bible Gateway).  It is not my favorite verse.  I am ok with all of it but the last three words.  However, I know that I can’t pick and choose what I obey.  I have trouble with foolish people.  I have found that there are a lot of them.  Yet 1:14 (here @ Bible Gateway) tells me that as a believer I am under obligation to share the gospel with them.  The sentence in VOV, echoes Paul.

Then two passages in Ezekiel, 3:18 – 19 (here @ Bible Gateway) and 33:8 – 9 (here @ Bible Gateway).  When you read those you will see that our obligation extends to the wicked as well.  That the passages are virtually identical, indicates emphasis.  We are exhorted emphatically that we are obligated to share the good news with the wicked.

Then Jude 22 – 23 (here @ Bible Gateway) came to mind.  Jude speaks of the urgency of the matter.  We need to view the Greeks, barbarians, wise, foolish, and wicked as inside a burning building and we are the only one that can get them out.  Fun picture.

Lastly, Matthew 28:18 – 20 (here @ Bible Gateway) came to mind.  You have probably hear messages on this passage.  We are told – well the only imperative in the passage is make disciples.  The other verb forms, go, baptize, and teach are all participles.  Participles get their force from the main verb, make disciples, so they take on the imperative mood of make disciples.  The point of this, is that we are expected to make disciples.  The first step in making a disciple is to lead them to Jesus.

It is easy to justify why we are not sharing the gospel.  I have essentially been under house arrest since last March because of my compromised immune system due to the cancer and subsequent chemo.  But, even before that, much of what I have been called to do focuses me on equipping believers in their study of the Word of God.  So in a sense I am insulated from non-believers.  But I don’t find in Scripture any out.  I am still under obligation to our list of Greeks, et al.  I have to use every interaction with another person as an opportunity to share Christ.  To go forth, intentionally, with compassion.  I am not very good about that.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Mike for sharing this very important truth.You are not alone in this, Most of the time we find ourselves giving reasons why we cannot reach out to those we need to hear the Good News of the Kingdom.In cameroon, the justification is on "Giftings and Offices" or what is the "Fivefold"ministry.
    But the scriptures like you rightly exposed,holds us accountable to the call to go and make disciples without exemption, if our motivation is love(Matthew 5:44-46;Luke 6:27)The command to go and make disciples: Matthew 28:16-19 is rooted on Matthew 22:37-40, unfortunately our motivation most of the time is rooted on our devicesand understanding(Proverbs 3:5-6).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are excellent cross references and excellent observations. I especially like the emphasis on love. 1 Timothy 1:5 tells us that the goal of what we do in ministry is love. In the book, Who's Afraid of the Holy Spirit, Richard Averbeck tells us: "Our goal is to do our scholarship and teach the results of our scholarly work in such a way that our students grow ever more increasingly toward loving God well, loving people well, and living God’s word well in their own life and ministry."(1)

      That thought has really challenged me in my study. If I do not come away from my time in the Word with a deeper love for God there is no way that I can share what I have seen with anyone and the response be a greater love for God and people.

      (1)Wallace, Daniel B.. Who's Afraid of the Holy Spirit (p. 163). Kindle Edition.

      Delete
    2. By the way, I did not write the first comment. Not sure who that is but I have a suspicion.

      Delete