Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Friday, January 15, 2021

Loose End

In June of last year, I shared two quotes, one by William Wilberforce, the other by Grant Osbourne.  As noted in the post, the quotes were 206ish years apart and yet essentially dealt with the same issue.  In that post I said I would share my thoughts on those two quotes.  In reviewing my journal and the blog just now, I realize I never did.  So here goes…

Loose End

If I were to synthesize the two quotes the common issue seems to be that there is a tendency in the community of faith to not take the need to work at understanding or studying the Bible as necessary for every believer.  There seems to be a prevailing sentiment that after I come to Christ, I’m done with work in terms of knowing Him.  Sure, I will listen to the occasional message and may read the occasional Christian book, but actually dive into the Word of God for myself?  I wouldn’t know where to start.  Anyway, that is the job of the pastor and teachers.  They need to study and tell me what to think.

In the previous paragraph I referred to the community of faith.  Why?  This issue prevails from Genesis to Revelation.  The people of Israel abandoned the Word of God.  There were times of renewal.  Each time the Word was found and read to the people and the people tore their clothes and repented.  But abandoned the Word again in short order.

In Jeremiah 23 (here @ Bible Gateway) the Lord reveals His attitude toward this type of behavior.  The prophets were not sharing the Word of God with the nation.  Rather, they were sharing their own dreams and ideas.  God did not like that.  It is worth your time to read the chapter.

In the New Testament over and over the importance of the Word of God is emphasized.  Perhaps the section of Scripture that is most telling is John 15:1 – 16 (here @ Bible Gateway).  In that passage John repeats the Greek word μένω (meno) 11 times in those 16 verses.  The word is variously translated abide, remain, continue, dwell.  We are exhorted by the Lord to abide in Him and have His Words abide in us.  In John 8:31 (here @ Bible Gateway) the exhortation is to abide in His Word to be His disciple.  Both statements in John 8:31 (here @ Bible Gateway) and John 15:7 (here @ Bible Gateway) are conditional.  The construction of the sentences indicate that it is not certain that those who heard or read will actually fulfill the condition of having the Words abide in them or abide in His Word.  The implications of not doing what Christ exhorted are dire.

This is getting longer than I intended when I started.  So I will finish it in the next post or so.  Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I came across the book Living By the Book by Hendricks. I was searching online for someway to study God‘s Word in more detail. I came across your site and your little videos on how you used Word and two columns along with the paragraph signs turned on to break down the study of each verse. I was wondering if there’s any ways that you could continue that teaching and be able to expand upon how to get more learned on understanding how to do continue it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. That is a great idea. I can make videos like those for the steps going forward. We could also meet online. I have done that with a Moroccan pastor for the past several years. Have also met with 5 men in Russia, one pastor in Pakistan, a Pastor in Uganda, and one in Ethiopia.

      I just need to know where you are so I can figure out the time differnce, I am in USA central time (GMT -6). If you would like to do that shoot me an email to mike at entrustingtruth dot org. Let me know what days work best for you and we will figure it out.

      By the way a lot of what I use to equipp men I got from Prof (Dr. Hendricks). In 1975 I listened to 8 messages by Prof on synthetic Bible study. Then I tracked down a DTS grad and got a copy of Prof's class notes. I worked through both of those for several years, using the methods to equip the new believers in our ministry.

      I look forward to hearing from you.

      Delete