Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Established

I have mentioned that I am working through Psalm 119.  In our Tuesday study we are doing 24 verses, three octets a week, frankly it is faster than I want to go through the Psalm.  I am finding it to be richer than I had ever imagined, and it is my go to passage.
Established
We did the first three octets yesterday.  When it was my turn to share what I had seen, I could hardly talk.  I was tongue tied, stuttered.  I had seen so much I did not know where to start and how to share it in the time I had.  I stumbled through it and realized later I had not done a very good job of codifying what I had seen.  Frankly, the psalm impacts me in ways I have a hard time articulating.  So even though I have started on the next three octets I have found myself going back over the first three, really the first one, several times today.

One of the reasons I am doing this study is to attempt to kick the dust and rust off of my Hebrew.  It appears it is more like raising the dead.  I am having to lean heavily on my Bible program, Logos, to parse the verbs.  But some of it is trying to exit the tomb.

There is some rich stuff in the first octet.  In the first four verses David outlines the value and impact of following the Word of God.  One is blessed who does.  Note the triple parallelism in the first three verses:
How blessed are those whose way is blameless
who observe His testimonies
they do no unrighteousness
who walk in the law of the Lord
seek Him with all of their heart
walk in His ways

Then David shares the reason that the Lord ordained His precepts, that we should keep them diligently, which is parallel to verse 2's seek Him with all their heart.

But the kicker is in verse 5.  David pleads that he be established – this one makes for a good word study should you have the time – it is variously translated established, fixed, confirmed, and strengthened.  David realizes and shares that apart from his Lord’s work in his life he has no chance to keep the Lord’s statues.

There is a great deal more, especially in light of the verb forms used in the next four verses.  But I will leave that until tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment