Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Thursday, March 9, 2017

More Parallels

Look at Job 35:16 and 1 Timothy 1:6 – 7.
More Parallels

In both cases the notion is that people are speaking without knowledge of what they speak.  If we are honest with ourselves we have all done that at one time or another.  I know that I have.  Or I speak beyond what I know making extensions to the topic for which I have no real knowledge.

Another, error I make is repeating what others have said or written without checking to see if they have used the data in a manner consistent with the intent of the author.

I had a seminal experience in seminary.  In one intercession class, we read two books by well-known Christian authors.  They were on opposite sides of a debate.  We looked at the sources they quoted as well as the passages they cited as support for their positions.

Both authors mishandled their source material; either misquoting or misrepresenting the context or import of their citation.  Both also, at some level, did not handle the Scripture carefully.

That experience emphasized to me that just because a well-known author has written and been published by a reputable publisher, does not mean that what they have written will withstand Biblical examination.  My conclusion was and is that I must lean on the Bible.  I can read and benefit from the thoughts of authors, and I read rather extensively.  But, I am responsible to validate what I read Biblically.  If I quote or use their material without first checking their work, I am in danger of opening my mouth emptily and multiplying words without knowledge…

1 comment:

  1. Powerfully taken points, Mike. It seems "jumping to conclusions" is a popular sport among us humans. If we try to be informed citizens and take serious our civic responsibilities we find informed debate largely absent in the political arena - so full of sound bites and deliberate deception. And we expect it from that environment.

    But in God's family it should be different. For me the problem, I must admit, is arrogance. I think my opinion is right and obviously the best. I want to convince rather than learn. I want to be (I usually try to be subtle) the authority; at least I act and talk like it.

    I am challenged and agree wholly with your conclusion: The Word of God is THE(only)authority. In my first study Bible, given by my folks when I was in college five plus decades ago, my dad wrote 2 Timothy 2:15, KJV of course, "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

    I have seriously tried to live that way, not usually all that successfully. But I'm more passionate about it than ever, and still aspire to that lofty goal.

    Thanks, Mike, for the encouragement of your words, and more so your life.

    ReplyDelete