- Verse 9
- They refused to listen
- Verse 10
- They told the seers not to see.
- They told the prophets not to prophesy
- They demanded that the prophets speak pleasant words, to prophesy illusions
- Verse 11
- They told the men of God to get out of the way
- To get out of the path
- To say no more about God to them
- Men pay attention to deceitful spirits
- Doctrines of Demons
- They will not endure sound doctrine
- Accumulate teachers that support their desires
- Turn aside to myths
This is a dire reality. When coupled with Jeremiah 23:9 – 40, which describes a class of prophets who are more interested in their own ideas rather than the Word of God this sets up a perfect storm of those who want false teaching and those who are more than eager to oblige.
Wonder if that will ever happen?
Thinking through this I wrote in my journal:
Father, protect your Church. Lead us to truth. Identify those who want to share their own dreams and those who want to pursue myths. Deliver your bride, the Church, from those who love to proclaim myths and those who crave myths.As for me…
I choose to stand in the way – only in His strength.