Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Friday, April 1, 2016

What is Glorified

Even a casual reading of the Bible leads one to understand that one of the purposes of God is to glorify Himself and His Son.  In the gospels we find the Son continually speaking of glorifying His Father.  He speaks of glorifying His Father and prays to that end.
What is Glorified
For that reason it is not strange that we find that theme in the prayers of the apostles, Paul especially.  Look at 2 Thessalonians 1:11 – 12.  Paul prays that Christ would be glorified in the Thessalonian believers.

But I noticed something this morning as I was working through Paul’s prayers.  In 2 Thessalonians 3:1 Paul asks for prayer that the Word of the Lord would spread quickly and be glorified.  In the context one may assume that he is speaking of the message of the gospel.  But it is not too much of a stretch to extend that to the Bible.  At that time the only Bible available for them was in the synagogues.  You will remember that the Berean believers, checked out what Paul told them in the Scriptures, Acts 17:11.  They had to go to the synagogue to do so, You Version was not on iTunes quite yet.

This got me to thinking about the need to glorify the Word of God.  Sounds almost blasphemous, does it not?  But the more I think about it, I do not believe that it is.  2 Peter 1:1b – 4, tells us that the written Word of God, in the form of God’s Promises, and later in 2 Peter 3:14 – 16, Paul’s letters, is our means of appropriating the nature and character of God into our lives.  If that is the case, then glorifying the Book is essentially glorifying God.

In Psalm 50:1a, Asaph pens a threefold use of God’s name, “The mighty one (El in Hebrew), God (Elohim), the Lord (Yahweh) has spoken.  He has spoken in His Word.  A person’s speech reveals much about their nature and character.  A person’s fidelity to their word, their promise, reveals that much more.

God has spoken. God has promised.  Those words and promises are in our Bibles and on the apps in our phones.  If we wish to know and glorify Him, we probably should do what Paul suggests.  Glorify His Word.

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful reminder, Mike, of an essential truth - God reveals Himself to us through His Word. We call our Bibles "The Word of God." It is the way He has chosen to show Himself to us. Hence Jesus is called "The Word of God" (John 1:1,2). John goes on to develop more fully what came to us through this living Word.

    But we weren't there. He has further chosen that I am to live by faith in Him. I am to believe what He has said, to grasp and live practically by these promises in this Book. Anything that does not adhere to it's message is to be rejected. Everything is to be evaluated by how it adheres to this Message.

    I am learning these days a whole new dimension of faith - believing without feeling. I have never before had to so acutely face the reality that it really makes no difference how I "feel" about anything; it's wonderful when I do, but it's not necessary.

    This AM when I woke up, as is normal these days, I felt anxious, even afraid of what was ahead today and the near future. And even worse I felt empty inside, desperately longing for my beloved companion, colaborer -my best friend on earth for 45 years. I wanted to hear her voice, take her in my arms and be reassured by her rich faith, pray with her. But she wasn't here, and never will be again.

    So I did the only other thing I could do (well, to be honest I made a cup of coffee first), I went to my Bible and spent over an hour meeting with God. The only other option for me is despair. I have no trouble understanding why so many can only consider relief in drugs, terrible relationships, suicide....

    One of my reflections this morning was that my 45 years with her and all the experiences God gave us seemed to be but a flash (other times I go through almost year by year in memories, but not this AM). And I was powerfully reminded of Paul's words in 2 Corinthians 4:16-18. Check it out; "...the things that are not seen are eternal."

    Her moment here is over; she is rejoicing and glorying in the presence of the One she so loved all this earthy life with a steadfastness that shames me. For her, faith has become blazing, life-giving Light. And I rejoice....

    I heard no voice, but God powerfully spoke.

    ReplyDelete