Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Bible or What You Believe

I was on vacation for the past couple of weeks.  My wife and I were in Alaska on a land and cruise tour.  It was much better than I expected.
One day we took a train from the coast of Alaska up to and through the US and Canadian Yukon.  On the way up one of the men asked me what I thought about Acts 29 churches, many in the group have figured out that we are engaged in ministry.  I had no idea what he was talking about.  So I asked for more information.  He told me that his son was in an Acts 29 church.  That he and his son had got into a long discussion about the church and in the end he had upset his son.  There was a doctrinal issue that separated them.  It does not matter what it was for my purpose here.

He told me what he believed.  He stated that belief like it was the end of the discussion and it was with his son.  There was one significant problem.  He would be hard pressed to validate what he believes from the pages of the Bible he takes to church.

Believing something does not make it true.  Truth is not determined by what I believe, what my pastor believes, what the statement of faith of my church or denomination states, or what my society thinks is true.  Truth is determined by what God says is true.

In John 14:6, Jesus said He was the truth...  In 2 Timothy 3:14 - 17, Paul tells us that all Scripture is inspired by God.  Multiple times in Psalm 119, David ascribes truth to God's Word.  Bottom line, if what I believe cannot be validated by a proper study of God's Word, it is not true.

In the final analysis, that is what matters.  As followers of Christ, our continual quest should be to plumb the depths of God's Word continually aligning what we believe with what the Word says.  

No comments:

Post a Comment