Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Dwelling/Abiding

I did not make it through all of the passages I had planned to in my quiet time this morning.  I got stuck.  Stuck on Psalm 61:3 – 4.  Stuck there and in the passages that came to mind while I was thinking through that passage.  Ever happen to you?
Dwelling/Abiding

The passages that came to mind were Psalm 27:4 (which, by the way, was the first verse I ever memorized), Psalm 84:4, 10; and then back to Psalm 27:8.
The force of these passages seems to be that I need to intentionally work at getting into the presence of God.  That is the best use of my life and time.  But it begs the question, “How?”

In the midst of all of the busyness that we experience in life, how can we work our way into abiding in the presence of God.  I am sure I do not have all of the answers but I have some thoughts.

First, is solitude.  I need to be alone; by myself.  That is not easy to do.  I means I may have to close some doors, or even leave the house or office, or go seal myself in a conference room.  But I need to be by myself without distractions.  There are times though that is not possible so I also need…

Quiet, for that in times that I cannot have solitude, I use either soft background music or noise cancelling headphones or both.  The point is I have to as much as possible eliminate distractions.

Third, prayer.  I am learning as David did that I have to ask the Lord to help me get to know Him, to help me into His presence.  Without asking, I am pretty much toast when I try.  Why?  Because on my own strength or effort, I find I am not able to break through.

Fourth, His Word.  We have an incredible advantage over most of the believers about whom we read in the Bible.  We have the Bible.  They did not.  God reveals Himself in all of His interactions with people in both the Old Testament and the New.  Further, we have the promise in John 16:13 that the Spirit will guide us into truth.

Lastly, my journal.  I am a type A, driver, hard charging, competitive, etc.  My mind is always running at high speed.  I find that I have to write to slow me down.  Not type, write.  Pen on blank paper.  I find when I do, that things I am reading, pondering, trying to sort out become clearer.  The Lord shows up.

These are certainly not the only means.  But I have found that they have worked for me, and many others.

Try it.  You’ll like it.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I forgot the enter key after ... Quiet is the second point.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing, Mike. I've been on and off with journal over the years and come to conclusion that thinking through the pen on paper is vital for me to have the heart involved, not only the mind.
    I also try to make my records personal, like summarizing what I observed with the words, "I believe God speaks to me today... (for example) I want you, Konstantin, to ..." Then I write my response also addressing God personally.

    ReplyDelete