Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, May 9, 2015

Redeeming the Time

I was on the road most of today.  My dad has an appointment at MD Anderson Monday, to re-stage his cancer.  I am taking him, so a 7.5 hour road trip.
Redeeming the Time
I started by listening to a couple of messages by John Piper that I like.  One on John Paton and the other on John Bunyan (12 and 13 on the list, they are well worth the listen).

I did not finish Bunyan.  About half way through the message I began to think about the reality of suffering in the believer’s life.  So I had a desire to get into 1 Peter, the challenge being I was driving and it is not a great idea to read the Bible while doing so.  I have done it.  I don’t any more.  I don’t recommend it.

So I opened YouVersion, actually had to download it from the cloud.  I pulled over and figured out how to have the app read 1 Peter to me.  I listened to 1 Peter about 15 times.  You have probably done this.  I have listened to the Bible on occasion but never like this.

I am more of visual and kinetic learner.  But, I found myself identifying themes in the book.  I used the voice memo app to take notes on what I was hearing.  I made note of things that I want to pursue in a study of 1 Peter.

It was a good use of several hours.  I could have listened to Piper.  That is good.  But listening to Peter is better.  He is inspired; Piper is good, not inspired.

In Ephesians 5:15 – 16 (KJV), Paul exhorts us to redeem the time.  Listening to the Word whilst road tripping, may fit that bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment