Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Saturday, April 11, 2015

Giving One’s Life, Proclaiming

Prof was right.  When we do Bible study we need to do it in pieces.  We do that so our subconscious can continue to work on the passages.  When we do we will make connections that we may otherwise miss.  It happened to me just now.
Giving One’s Life, Proclaiming
I am working on my summary of Mark.  In 1:38, Christ tells His disciples that the reason that He came is to proclaim (your Bible probably translates kerudzo here, “preach,” in the context of the book, it seems to me that we have allowed the pastoral function of preaching to color too strongly the way we treat that word.  Readers who are not professionals in the pulpit read “preach” and assume that whatever that word might mean it is reserved for those who arise behind the pulpit on Sunday mornings.  I do not think that is what is going on here, so I much prefer, “proclaim,” all of us can and should proclaim – but then that is the point of this post – I got ahead of myself).  He came to proclaim to other cities.  The grammar indicates that proclamation was His reason for coming.  Problem.

Mark 10:45 says that He came to serve and to give His life a ransom for many.  Which is it?  Is this a contradiction?  Nope.  One of the presuppositions with which I approach the Word is that it cannot contradict.  So if I think I see something that is a contradiction, there is something that I do not understand.

I took a break from the study and watched an episode of “The Voice” that we had recorded earlier.  When I came back to the study I think things began to become clearer.

Proclaiming is giving your life as a ransom.  Further, it is one thing that as apprentices of Christ we can do that mirrors Him.  When we proclaim Him, in and through our lives and our sharing of the gospel, we are in fact giving our lives to those to whom we proclaim.  As Christ did, we face rejection.  In some cases we can face death.  Either physical death in some areas of the world, but in fact death to ourselves in terms of clinging to our reputation, our standing, a person’s regard for us, etc.

So proclaim Him.  Give your life a ransom for those you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment