Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Familiarity Breeds…

…complacency.  Especially when one is dealing with familiar passages of Scripture.  You are reading along and come to a passage or story you know really well and you kind of go into auto pilot.  Next thing you know you are in the next section or chapter of the book.  You essentially fast forwarded through that really familiar passage.
Familiarity Breeds…
I have done that.  You probably have too.

Not a good idea.

Assuming Hebrews 4:12 – 13 is true, and that John 16:13 is as well, the Word should be new to us each time we come to a passage, no matter how well we know the passage.

Today I was in Daniel 3.  It is a story I can tell without reference to the text.  I found myself doing just what I said, skimming, fast forwarding through the text.  I realized what was going on and stopped.  I asked God to slow me down to do a Psalm 119:18 on me…  He did.  I saw a couple of things that I had not ever seen or thought of before.

We are always in a hurry.  We have things to do, places to be, and people to see.  Epically important things, places, and people.  Hurrying through our time in the Word does not serve us well.

We need to slow down.  If you need help slowing down, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment