Pages

Sign up to be notified of new blog post.

If you are not getting notifications of the blog posts by e-mail and would like to, click here. Make sure that you give us at least your first name.


I promise we will never give or sell your info to others.


You might also want to visit Entrusting Truth to find out more about what we do. My book and workbook Your Walk, their walk are available there as well as at Amazon and Barnes and Noble.

Translate

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Engaging the Wise

Twice today I have found myself living out Proverbs 9:8 – 9.  The first time was in our Tuesday morning Bible study and a phone call that followed up on some of the conversation.  One of the men shared something that seemed to be construed from the text rather than in the text we were studying.  I challenged him, somewhat bluntly – unfortunately even when I try not to be, blunt I can be.  I have memorized and meditated on Proverbs 15:1 – 2 but it is still a constant struggle – but based on the follow up phone call, he was encouraged.
Engaging the Wise
About 15 minutes later I met with a man who had called to inquire about another matter.  In the course of the conversation I asked the question I have been asking men as an application of my ongoing study of Jeremiah, “What is the Lord teaching you from His Word?”  His answer was much like many I have received, he started sharing things he was learning but the lessons were not associated or from the Word.

After listening to what he was learning – and it was good stuff – I circled back to the original question.  In the subsequent conversation it became clear that he, like most men, had never been shown how to study the Word of God for himself.

As we talked about this he became animated about his desire to learn to study.  We talked through a simple Bible study and I gave him an assignment.  If he responds, does the work, I may have found a wise man.  We’ll see.

I went to talk to him about something else.  As we talked, it became clear that he needed Bible more than that for which we had originally set the appointment.  My role now is to pray that he will follow through.

No comments:

Post a Comment